Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Most Black Swan Dreams

Black Swan - an unpredictable or unforeseen event, typically one with extreme consequences
If I could apologize to everyone I should, I’d gladly take all the time that I would need
Should there be a way for me to find just a little grace, you can bet that I would surely seek it
Give me but the time to practice a bit of mercy and I would become quite accomplished
If there was a way to thank all those helping me so invisibly, why, I would do it publicly

If I could stop my organic wastes from ever again polluting, you can bet I would
If it could only be, I would not generate any more plastic trash
Were there another way, my car would not belch a single molecule of CO2
If it were possible, these soaps and creams of ours would not harm those graceful fish

If I could stem our swarming, destructive overpopulation, why you know, I just might
I would gladly ban the wasteful, foolish, childlike religious practice known as war
I could happily do without soulless widgets of factory holocaust meat, given tasty alternatives
If possible, I would even turn off every wasteful, paranoid night light, just to see the stars

I would generate my own clean power right at home, given a real opportunity
If I never had to commute to work again, that would suit me just fine
Where can I buy but things not made by far off wage slaves working 14 hour days?
If I could make the choice, my lawn would not be merely an expensive, wasteful, poisonous carpet

If I could only make it so, I would decree that my greed become quite a bit less wasteful
With the right opportunity, I could possibly gain just a touch of humility
Given half a chance, I would tax all forms of noise above a certain decibel
If I would ever run for office, no one else but me would be writing my speeches

If someone like me could become a tabloid star, this would not be the world that we know so well
Should I get elected, neither party nor lobbyist would get to call my dancing tune
When I would finally stop trying to be different, I could start to make a real difference
If I could give up everything, I might finally see how much excess I actually have

If there was a way, I would stop up my lame complaining with a little real work
Should the greedy not take such cynical advantage, I could volunteer more time
You would see a different person if I could just view things in a different light
If I could shed my love of violence, I might find some small trace of tranquility within

If we knew our fathers, generations back, perhaps we would not scorn all the elders
Should I actually find something to say at last, I might lose my fear of silence
Given a new religion, I would put my vast but unused reservoir of faith to some good use
If I had some real reasons, I could dispense with all of my half-baked excuses

If it were just left up to me, I would try and slow this fleeting blur
If I could but begin again, I’m certain I could correct all the errors of my pride and folly
If I finally became conscious, I’d undo all the damage I have so thoughtlessly brought forth

If I lost my voice but had learned but a single song, I bet I could hum it silently, forever

No comments:

Post a Comment