Friday, April 15, 2011

Lost or merely wandering aimlessly?

After a while you start to think you probably should be getting somewhere
Signs should at least begin to appear now and again on the horizon
Maybe you might see a mileage marker or, why not even a billboard?
You’d think after all of these years some sort of outline would begin to emerge

Perhaps now that your kids are gone some of the constant turbidity will settle out at last
We might turn back but it seems like a one-way that only crosses dirt tracks leading nowhere
Though it’s starting to get real dark, I think that this may be the trail that I might still be seeing
It’s not safe to hurry but we don’t know what time things close up around here

Maybe that was the right turn off, but now it’s way too far back to turn around
Our difficulty increases because we don’t speak the language and we have no map
After a while you’d think they’d have at least an occasional road marker
I finally gave up looking for signs at every fork in the trail and stuck to my gut

It’s too hot to travel during the day and far too misleading in the night
I’m finding it difficult to transition from being lost to merely wandering aimlessly
I wondered just when I would have enough time saved that I would not have to hurry
With the passing of the years I grow anxious to spy at last a heretofore unknown goal

We kept thinking we were almost there but could not ever really tell for sure
Too late we tried in vain to remember if we’d forgotten to do this or to pay that
When it finally stopped raining, the damp wind kept us cold but did not get us dry
I think now I need to go back over the scanty evidence looking for some new clues

After a long while I learned more from my dreams than from the books that I read
Arriving tired and dirty I kind of thought I probably had already seen this latest new sight
After a short rest we prepared to push on again despite our growth of misgivings
In a cove sheltered from the wind and waves we tried to regain our bearings

Finally, one day, the old dog just laid down beside the road and could not rise again
After months we realized the differences between vacationing and traveling
Once we were utterly lost there came signs to unknown places in all directions
The road I had firmly stuck to turned into a pigtrack and at last petered out in an arroyo

The one radio station we could get was broadcasted only unintelligible grunts and whistles
Later on, the children came out in every village just to witness the white strangers
At last we simply kept on going not really knowing anything better to do
If I only had but another battery I’m sure my GPS might get us safely on our way…

No comments:

Post a Comment