Sunday, April 17, 2011

As Darkness Fell We Held Each Other


There was no one there that I could talk to
But hoarse shouting assailed me from all directions
The evidence was simply overwhelming
Still I thrashed about for any faintest clues

The stakes were already quite high but we all stayed in
I lost nothing but my worthless and failing pride
It looked like the rain would not stop falling
We were surprised and then shoved outside

Before the bridge broke it gave no warning
We sat and talked throughout the morning
Pretty soon we always hurried
When they were quite late we began to worry

We never guessed that we were lost
For it seemed we always headed somewhere
There was time to spare as the days grew longer
Then we awoke to cold and dark November

Kept on playing as darkness fell
Tucked them in before I left
Remembered all their lives so well
Now I’m only talking to myself

Watched the leaves fall from the trees
In those windstorms, I too lost branches
Caught up to clouds and their rain began
Missed many details since I always ran

Colors faded with the approach of night
My hair stood up from unseen demons
Felt my chest grow too damn tight
Lost silly dreams of getting even

Saw myself on the surgeon’s table
Kept on thinking I saw some light
Left well enough alone had I been able
Knew only I must awaken in the night

We sat close together as sunset faded
Nothing spoken passed between us
In your brown eyes I saw why I was created
We held each other close as darkness gathered

No comments:

Post a Comment