Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Collective Quantum Entanglement

Quantum entanglement: “spooky action at a distance”, Einstein
All by myself I decided that hair dye, botox and cosmetics were not made for me
A thousand miles away you made the same decision and we passed each other on our trips

Sitting home alone in the dark I realized that we were headed in the wrong direction
Half a continent away I heard a stranger say just that on a far-off radio frequency

I set out to save the world via the personal attainment of a sustainable lifestyle
You invented the same solution and we never had to meet or talk it over at all

We rejected childlike Christian fairy tales for the sound of a hand clapping all alone
Millions of us wandered in these same directions happy at not ever seeing one another

We both traveled far from totally different places to this unremarkable vista point
You had a brother not far from us and we had once shopped in your town

Your large SUV cost too much to fill and we found no solitude upon the trails
We shook our heads in agreement there was no stopping this thing called progress

We talked it over alone at home and gave up on factory poultry and industial beef
Overnight new industries appeared as unrelated millions made the same decisions

My well-considered conclusions on social issues were never shared with a soul
But you read my mind out loud in an interview with another random citizen

I knew I was alone and righteous in banishing packaged sports from my entertainment
Lo and behold their ratings began sliding for good, all across the nation

Thinking about it, I realized that neither chemicals nor cremation was for me
Next thing I knew green burials came along seeking to fill the bill for a profit

We sold our giant house before the stupid speculative market bubble burst
Luxurious downsizing was reported as a great new trend among us

I realized that the inner political circle did not have our best interests in mind
Their numbers continued to sag despite all their best in marketing efforts

After my last downsizing, I would never again pledge allegiance to any corporation
The same lack of trust and commitment spread silently to colleagues I never met

I came to my own conclusion that neither party worked for my real interests
The Independent label grew faster than it ever had before

Despite their best efforts I became convinced of the reality of global warming
They were left holding their empty rhetoric as people changed of their own accord

We realized independently that real estate agents should not share in the proceeds of our work
We had no problem in connecting with buyers and sellers who shared our beliefs

In quiet and solitary meditation I slowly learned to find a little peace
You did the same and, likewise, never spoke of it with another person

Talking only to ourselves we concluded we would never get to spend all that time we were saving every day
Millions silently realized the decreasing marginal benefits of more money, longer working hours and ever-increasing consumption

After too many pointless tasks the artificial deadlines and hazy goals of foolish project managers could no longer motivate me at all
They laid us off for good in favor of those still young enough to swallow the nonsense they could only parrot nervously

We had enough Hollywood special effects and over-hyped, overpaid, so-called stars
We shared opinions on independent and foreign films we all watched on the web

I laughed at the absurdity of the big box, drive-thru evangelical mega-churches
Gradually their congregations decreased even as their advertising was redoubled

You cut my hair for years and it only saved us a lot of money
Economists noted a trend towards fewer salons charging more in a shrinking market

My Spanish always helped me to communicate - with the janitors in our buildings
Now they say it’s a vital skill in the newly globalized economy that we all must live in

We laughed about their latest mania for those 300 foot long luxury yachts
Polls showed few believed any of their latest tax cut money really trickled down to us

We privately decided to make a personal statement regarding overpopulation
Demographers noted that the educated bred at lower rates than the swarming immigrants

We determined to support our troops by wishing for the ouster of their chief
Public support evaporated despite the light and heat of their ongoing propaganda

We smiled at their awkward efforts to put a few bags of groceries in a giant pickup
For us, the era of the monster vehicle was over long before American auto makers even had a clue

No comments:

Post a Comment